Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /nas/content/live/ttwweb/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4861
An active, vibrant and integral part of the city's maritime identity
The White Bay International Cruise Terminal is a new cruise facility located in Sydney Harbour, to serve Australia’s rapidly expanding leisure cruise industry.
The design features a contemporary roof canopy draped from a historically significant gantry crane structure. The gantry structure has been retained as a memory of the site’s previous use as a homeport for the world’s first regular international containerised shipping service, commencing operations between Sydney and Europe in the late 1960’s.
JPW chose a distinctive structural form for the roof comprising of a complex wave which oscillates along the length of the building. The roof is clad in aluminium sheet and the walls in the glass. The continuously curved roof provided many challenges to the project with regards to structural framing, fabrication methods, safe construction techniques, a tight program and overall budget. TTW worked closely with JPW to generate a roof geometry that met their design, could be fabricated from sheet elements and was buildable. These design issues were resolved using state of the art software and detailed computational analysis.
Client: Sydney Ports Corporation
Builder: AW Edwards
Sector: Transport & Infrastructure
Services: TTW Advance, Structural, Civil, Façade
- 2014 The Chicago Athenaeum: Museum of Architecture and Design and The European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies: The International Architecture Award
- 2014 AIA National Awards – Harry Seidler Award- Commercial Architecture
- 2014 AIA National Awards, National Colorbond Award for Steel Architecture
- 2014 AIA NSW Awards – Public Architecture Award
- 2014 AIA NSW Awards – Sustainable Architecture Award
- 2014 AIA NSW Awards – Colorbond Award for Steel Architecture
- 2014 ACSE (NSW) – Award for Excellence in Design, Large Buildings >$25M
- 2014 ASI Awards NSW& ACT, High Commendation – Large Projects
- 2013 World Architecture Festival Awards – Winner, Transport Category
- 2013 World Architecture Festival Inside Awards – High Commendation