A church that embodies the balance of tradition and contemporarySt Barnabas church replaces the existing 1857 facility that was destroyed in a fire in 2006. It was the first new church to be built in the Broadway precinct for 48 years. The 3-storey building is a social community centre offering ground floor offices, a kitchen, multi-purpose hall, foyer, main worship space, basement car parking and landscaped courtyard.
The roof framing is formed using structural steel, arranged to best utilise the geometry formed by the curved volumes. Full depth trusses were placed in the side walls of the roof to allow large column free volumes in the worship space and entrance lobby. One of the main structural challenges is the structure free, glazed crucifix built into the south Façade.