World class inter-modal public transport interchange
The Chatswood Transport Interchange (CTI) is a mixed-use Transit Oriented Development project underpinned by an urban design strategy that establishes new streets and reinstates connections that were once served by the previous station and railway line. The project demonstrates how transportation infrastructure project schemes can be integrated into the structure of the city to enhance the activity and quality of urban spaces. Representing the largest project of its kind in the state of New South Wales, CTI includes an upgraded rail station linking the North Shore and Chatswood to Epping lines; an open landscaped bus interchange; 10,000 square meters of retail spaces at podium level; and public pedestrian linkages reconnecting the centre of Chatswood. Above this sits three towers accommodating 550 apartments.
TTW developed and analysed complex staging to maintain the operation of two live rail tracks while constructing adjacent and also below for the new rail station. The 350m long station building was broken up into three zones defined by permanent movement joints. A top down construction methodology allowed the new tracks to become operational early prior to excavation under. The station design incorporated basements, track level, concourse, retail podium and enabling works for the oversite development towers “Chatswood Metro” which were also engineered by TTW for a separate developer.
Architect: Design Inc/ Cox Architecture
Builder: Laing O'Rourke
Sector: Transport & Infrastructure, Retail, Residential
Services: Structural, Civil
- 2015 CTBUH – Urban Habitat Award Finalist
- 2015 AIA NSW – Commendation Award for Urban Design
- 2015 PIA NSW – Great Place’ Award for Planning Excellence
- 2014 ACSE Structural Awards – Large Building Commendation
- 2009 Engineering Projects – special mention from the Concrete Institute of Australia
- 2009 ACEA Silver Award and High Commendation
- 2008 EA NSW – Engineering Excellence Award for Infrastructure