A modern, purpose-built and state-of-the-art emergency, surgical and critical healthcare facility on the Canberra Hospital campus
The $500 million Canberra Hospital Expansion (CHE) project will deliver a new eight-storey emergency, surgical and critical healthcare building. Located at Yamba Drive in Garran, the hospital expansion is the largest healthcare infrastructure project ever undertaken by the ACT Government. The nearly 40,000sqm new facility will enable a bigger, better Canberra Hospital to meet the needs of a growing city and region, featuring 22 operating theatres, 55 day surgery beds, 60 ICU beds and an extra 39 emergency department treatment spaces.
Related works will include:
- Significant site and roadworks to create new passenger drop offs for the main entry and emergency departments, and separate 12 bay ambulance drop off;
- Demolition of two end-of-life buildings currently on the CHE Project site;
- Introduction of an undercover pedestrian link between the new building and Buildings 1,2 and 4.
- Installation of a new high level clinical 'bridge' connection at L3 from the new building, to Building 1.
- Basement access tunnel for servicing the new building.