Award-winning timber gridshell, the first of its kind seen in Australia
Opened in October 2017, Bunjil Place provides the community with an 800-seat auditorium, international standard art gallery, library, flexible exhibition and performance space, carpark, council chambers and offices for over 400 staff. Designed to become a cultural hub in Melbourne’s east, the new building involved intricate design challenges and delivery to demanding timeframes.
The building’s dominant feature is a timber gridshell that defines the main atrium. This impressive central area incorporates a 12m high glass Façade facing a large community plaza area beyond. The remainder of the freeform roof structure is constructed of steel with spectacular cantilevers at the building edges. TTW’s engineers worked closely with architects and timber contractors to optimise the timber roof form within the spatial design constraints. The multiple functions of the building created particular design challenges, especially in regards to acoustic separation.
The new facility also provides large landscaped external areas, including amphitheatre, reading gardens and grove area. TTW’s services were extended to encompass: large scale site earthworks; carpark design; overland flow analysis; stormwater infrastructure design and augmentation; WSUD; pavement and site grading; and construction phase services.
Client: Casey City Council
Sector: Government & Public, Art & Culture
Services: Timber, TTW Advance, Structural, Civil, Façade
- 2018 – ATDA – Excellence in Timber Design
- 2018 – ATDA – Excellence in the use of Timber Products – Timber Veneers
- 2018 – ATDA – Excellence in Timber Design, Public or Commercial
- 2018 – AEEA – VIC – Excellence Engineering Award
- 2018 – AIA VIC – The William Wardell Award for Public Architecture
- 2018 – Australian Interior Design Awards – Commendation’ for Public Design
- 2018 – International Design Awards – Architecture of the Year
- 2018 – International Design Awards – Gold – Institutional
- 2018 – International Design Awards – Gold – Landmarks, symbolic structures, memorials, public