Refurbishment of the heritage building providing high quality retail and commercial spaceBlacket was a complicated refurbishment of an existing heritage building into a new retail and commercial space. The original building was design and constructed by Edmund Blacket in 1860, located on the corner of King and York Streets, Sydney. It consisted of the demolition of the upper levels for a new 2 storey steel framed structure with a double skin glazed façade, and internal demolition with strengthening works to the existing structural. Elements.
The biggest challenges faced were investigating of the existing structure due to lack of documentation of the original heritage building and previous alterations and designing around the heritage elements of the building. TTW developed a design to suit the architectural intent while maintaining the heritage fabric. TTW worked closely with Built Pty Ltd during the construction phase to ensure that the investigations, demolition of the structure and strengthening works were conducted with what was approved by the heritage architect and structural drawings.