Major extensions to the NSW Art Gallery
TTW was involved with a number of major extensions to the NSW Art Gallery in the Domain and later alterations have included the John Kaldor Gallery. The Kalder Gallery involved the conversion of the basement storage area into a gallery, including a new stair. There was a triangular block of rock that had previously supported a major fig tree. This rock plinth was removed but this required extending the columns down to the new level and extending others to provide a column free space. The work was done at night to ensure the galleries above remained operational.
Other projects included the centennial auditorium and the aboriginal gallery.
Client: Department of Commerce
Architect: NSW Government Architects
Sector: Government & Public, Art & Culture
Services: Heritage, Structural
- 2013 ACSE Structural Engineering Award
- 2013 AIA National Awards Samll Project Architecture
- 2013 AIA NSW – Robert Woodward Award for Small Project Architecture
- 2012 AIA Awards National Award – Interior Architecture
- 2012 AIA NSW – John Verge Award Urban Design
- 2007 AIA 25 Year Award NSW