Innovative steel transfer solution to resolve complex station constraints and maximise usable hotel space
Little National Hotel Sydney is a railway oversite development above Wynyard Station’s Clarence Street Entry Building also designed by TTW in 2010. The hotel structure consists of an innovative
and efficient steel transfer structure over the lower 4 hotel stories hidden within the hotel room walls to maximise the useable hotel space while resolving the complex Wynyard station constraints
below. The selected structural steel solution allowed the height of the building to be increased compared to conventional concrete construction while maintaining full access to the ‘live’ station
This landmark development features a lightweight composite steel frame with bondek slabs support 10 levels of hotel rooms, a reception level, gym, library, and an exclusive rooftop terrace bar.
For this busy CBD environment, unique and innovative designs and delivery processes are being utilised:
- A steel frame designed in parts for easy transport via shipping containers and simple install on-site to assist with the site restrictions.
- A tower crane has been fixed to the roof of the existing structure to enable the site to operate with minimal impact on Clarence Street and the train station entry below.
- Cantilevering external steel fire stair to increase hotel space
- Portal frame Green wall off the Eastern facade.
- Reticulation of services through custom steel beams to resolve tight floor to floor clearances.
- Custom fabricated sections utilised to minimise structural widths and enable desired architectural set out to be achieved.
- Rooftop bar features exposed custom architectural steel framing to the terrace lounge areas with concealed façade framing within the steel profiles.
A multi-storey steel truss has been utilised to transfer the loads from the upper levels down, bridging across the open reception level to the existing structural concrete columns below.
Client: Doma Group
Architect: Bates Smart
Builder: Hutchinson Builders
Images: Images © Bates Smart Video © Doma
Sector: Hotels & Resorts