Abbotsleigh Sports Hall
The award-winning sports complex at Abbotsleigh School utilises state-of-the-art design and the highest quality finishes to produce an impressive facility that complements its bush environment. The complex consists of a multi-purpose sports hall, elevated hockey field, fitness classrooms, tiered spectator seating, amenities, VIP viewing room, and two large undercover car parks.
Designed to meet the needs of a wide range of sports and functions, the main hall showcases a curved steel-framed roof over a column-free 56m x 38m cavernous space. The facility houses three sports courts and is elevated to create spaces beneath for parking, fitness classrooms, and plant and storage rooms. The new development also includes an elevated sports field constructed over a post-tensioned banded slab-deck with additional parking beneath. To connect the two areas, a link structure was cut in to the batter slope that houses the support facility spaces.
A number of curved access walkways and feature stairs are provided for circulation between the various areas on the undulating site. The complex has been designed with a high focus on sustainability as well as aesthetics.
These structures provide impressive additions to Abbostleigh College’s sporting precinct – increasing the capacity of the school’s facilities, and complementing its surrounds.
- 2016 AIA Architecture Award – William E. Kemp Award for Educational Architecture
- 2016 AIA Architecture Award – William E. Kemp Award for Sustainable Architecture
- 2016 Australian Timber Design Awards – Timber Flooring
- 2016 ACSE Medium Projects Commendation Award
- 2015 NSW MBA Award – Best Use of Timber & Best Use of Structural Steel
- 2015 NSW MBA Award – Sporting Facilities
- World Architecture Festival